Oriental chicken salad
This is a low fat salad with stacks of taste from the many flavours it contains. Look out for Nam Pla (fish sauce) in the oriental aisle of the supermarket, but use carefully as it is very salty.
40g fine rice noodles
Half a small carrot
4cm piece cucumber
2 spring onions
50g iceberg or other crisp lettuce, shredded
100g cooked chicken fillets such as chilli or garlic/ coriander
For the dressing:
1 tsp fish sauce (Nam Pla)
1 tsp lime juice
Half teaspoon sugar
1 tsp chopped mint
1 tsp chopped coriander
No of servings: 1
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
This recipe is suitable for the following diets: Simple Solution (LCD) .
1. Place the noodles in a large shallow bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 5 minutes or until cooked. Rinse under cold water and drain.
2. Using a mandolin, or coarse grater cut the carrot, radishes and cucumber into fine strips.
3. Slice the spring onions, and shred the chicken fillets.
4. Mix together all the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in the noodles then all the salad ingredients to coat with the dressing.
5. Spoon into a serving dish and serve at once.
Serving suggestions: For a lower carbohydrate and higher protein option, use 25g of roasted peanuts instead of the noodles. (344kcal, 33.3g protein, 15.1g carbohydrate (of which 13.6g sugars), 16.7g fat (of which 3.8g saturates), 5.5g fibre, 1g sodium (2.5g salt)
Storage: Once dressed the salad is not suitable for storage, but can be refrigerated for a few hours before the dressing is added.
|Of which sugars g||12.70|
|Of which saturates g||1.40|
|Portions of vegetables||3|