If you’re looking to lose weight but don’t fancy restricting your diet 7 days a week or simply want to maintain your amazing weight loss results, the 5:2 fasting diet could be the solution for you. With a combination of fasting and healthy eating, the 5:2 diet is a popular choice when it comes to losing weight. Channel 4’s January dieting series ‘How To Lose Weight Well’ recently trialed 5:2 intermittent fasting and below we look at their results.
Firstly, what is fasting?
Fasting, or abstaining from some or all foods and drink for a significant period of time, has been practiced for hundreds of years. Initially, a religious observance, the health benefits of fasting have since transformed it into a popular weight loss tool.
What are the benefits?
- Weight loss – Studies have shown that intermittent allows the body to use fat as it’s primary source of energy instead of sugar, promoting weight loss.
- Steady blood sugar levels – Fasting has a positive effect on the bodies sensitivity to insulin and how the sugar from carbohydrates are tolerated in the bloodstream.
- Improved digestion– Boosted metabolic function by regulating bowel movements and overall digestion.
- Protected immune system- Intermittent fasting reduces free radical damage, regulates inflammatory conditions in the body and starves off cancer cell formation.
- Brain function– promotes production of the protein in the brain essential for positive neural health
How to lose weight well: what is the 5:2 diet?
The 5:2 diet is an intermittent fasting plan. Traditionally, the plan involves 2 non-consecutive ‘fasting’ days where you restrict your daily calorie intake to around 500 calories, followed by 5 days of normal, healthy eating.
Is the 5:2 fasting diet for me?
If you are looking for a simple and effective way to lose or maintain your weight and find sticking to a restricted calorie diet every day challenging, 5:2 is for you.
- Learn how to cook healthy food and incorporate exercise into your routine.
- No ‘banned’ foods – making you less likely to fall off track
- A flexible way to sustain healthy weight loss.
- Fasting on weekdays reduces the need for meal prep during the week.
- Sustainable way to maintain a healthy lifestyle long-term
- Perfect for those looking to lose or maintain their weight
- Fasting is a simple concept proven to promote weight loss
- 1-2 pound a week weight loss*
How can I do the 5:2 diet with Exante?
- On your fasting days, enjoy 3 Exante meal replacement products, reducing your calories to 600 kcal a day.
- On your ‘off’ days try healthy recipes from our Flexi Solution.
- Each Exante meal replacement contains 1/3 of your RDA of vitamins and minerals, giving your body everything it needs.
- No calorie counting or temptation from other foods.
- If you are vegan, and still want to follow a 5:2 diet plan, our new vegan meal replacement shakes are the perfect choice for your fasting days.
How to lose weight well: the results
Channel 4’s ‘How to Lose Weight Well’ sees Fay follow the 5:2 diet for 4 months and the results are telling. Fay admits to struggling with the diet but despite this, loses 17 lbs over the 4 months. Although the 5:2 diet it is not a ‘quick-fix’ and will not provide dramatic losses, like our Total Solution plan will, it is a different approach to changing your eating habits, that still allows you to enjoy the foods you like. Fay described the diet as “really do-able and very sustainable” and went on to say “that if anyone has tried diets and failed in the past, then they should try the 5:2 diet.”
Similar to the 5:2 diet, time-restrictive diets allow for another way of flexible dieting. Read more about time-restrictive dieting.
Shop our 5:2 diet packs today and start losing weight for good!