These days we’ve spent more time than ever with ourselves – that means more time looking in the mirror, more time being over-critical of ourselves and more time on comparing ourselves to the unnatural, heavily filtered posts on social media. Quite frankly, a recipe for self-love disaster!
The thing is, if we’re making long-term lifestyle changes, feeling guilt, shame or punishing ourselves does nothing to improve our self-esteem or mental health. Plus, this makes our weight loss journey much more difficult than it has to be.
So, whilst it’s important to maintain a loving relationship with your loved-ones, it’s even more important to build a healthy, loving relationship with yourselves!
To celebrate self-love this Valentine’s Day, we explore the top 6 self-love tips we need to consider to better our relationship with ourselves.
- Treat yourself to a little something – This Valentine’s Day, whether you’re spending time with your loved ones or whether you’re going to be home alone, be sure to allow yourself a little treat. Be it a bunch of lush red roses, or our mouth-watering limited edition raspberry brownie shake, taking the time to savour the little–somethings can lift our spirits and remind us that we are totally worth it!
- Limit your time on social media – Try setting yourself a daily time limit on each platform. You can do this by going into the social media settings, selecting ‘your activity’, then clicking ‘set daily reminder’. You’ll then receive a reminder of when you have reached your daily time limits. The less time you spend scrolling through social media, the less chance you have of comparing yourself to unrealistic beauty and lifestyle standards. Ensuring you only follow accounts that make you feel happy or empowered can be a powerful tool to achieving self-love. On our Instagram account, we only share positive and meaningful posts, giving evidence-based guidance on different health topics and sharing our lovely customers’ journeys.
- Surround yourself with positive people – Peoples’ personalities are contagious. Ever noticed that when you’ve caught up with your optimistic friend, you feel more energetic and cheerful for the rest of the day? But when you’re around pessimistic people you leave feeling stressed and low? Surrounding yourself with positive people, who compliment you and listen carefully to what you have to say, can ultimately help you understand how to self-love.
- Celebrate your achievements – Oftentimes, focusing too much energy on the end goal or the goals we’re finding difficult to achieve, can divert our attention from the things we should actually be celebrating – the things we have achieved. Celebrating our achievements allows us to see how we’ve progressed, what’s going well, and what we should be doing more of. Take time to write down and reflect on your achievements and align them with your thoughts and feelings. Download our eBook to help you track your progress.
- Forgive yourself – Everyone makes mistakes. A weight loss journey is never going to be easy, there’ll always be ups and down and slip ups along the way. From time to time, we may feel frustrated with ourselves and our bodies for not achieving our weight loss goals as quickly as we’d planned. However, we must be patient, we must forgive ourselves for our slip ups and keep calm and carry on. For more advice on how to bounce back after you fall off the wagon, click here.
- Join our supportive community – We’ve got a huge welcoming and supportive community in our exante official Facebook group. Our closed group is a safe space for like-minded people to share their tips and tricks, motivational pics, and the ups and downs of their exante journey.
To round up, we want you to not only practice self-love this Valentine’s day, but for the rest of your life! Because, as cliché as it might sound, loving yourself is the first step on the road to health and happiness.
How will you be spending Valentines this year? Whether you’re with your partner, video calling your friends or indulging in a self-care session, get in touch via our Facebook or Instagram – we’d love to hear from you.
Plus, don’t forget to share the love this Valentine’s day – Refer a friend and both of you will get £10 off when they spend £25 on their first order!